Can employer share salary details with Non American Court

I live and work in MA, me and my wife are separated and she is in a different
country. She is threatening me for going to court in the country where she stays
and file for huge maintenance amount. For filing maintenance she needs my salary
details which she does not have, so if she contacts my employer OR if there is a
summons from a Non American Court the country she lives then can my employer
share my salary details to the Non American Court without my consent ?

Asked on October 25, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can do this. 1) Your salary may seem or feel "confidential" to you, but it actually is not: an employer may generally share this information if it chooses; 2) nothing about your salary is protected against disclosure in a legal proceeding--regardless of where the court is located--so long as the proper rules and procedures are followed in requesting (e.g. a subpoena is issued in cooperation with and through a local U.S. court system (state or federal)). You cannot hide your employer's salary data or prevent its release.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.