Is the landlord held to the same standards of a leaseas isthe tenant?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is the landlord held to the same standards of a leaseas isthe tenant?

The lease for my apartment specifically states that the landlord can terminate the lease for excessive noise complaints against a tenant. The tenant will receive 3 warnings, and if there is still a noise problem the lease will be terminated. As a tenant can I hold them to this statement applying to other tenants? We have submitted 5 noise complaints, the landlord has returned our call/checked the issue twice, but the problem has not changed. We are not just bothered but loosing sleep and sanity. It is effecting my health to the point that I may have to move elsewhere just to live in peace. If I have to move am I entitled to any reimbursement for moving expenses?

Asked on June 10, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The lease between you and the landlord is what it says it is and it applies only to you and the landlord.  You have no idea what the lease between the landlord and the noisy tenant says and you have no right to enforce any provision in thatlease because you are not a party to that contract.  Now, I hope that you have been documenting the complaints (date, time, reported when, etc.) because you do have what is known under the law as a right to quiet enjoyment of your rental apartment. You can not,. though, just leave as it would be considered a breach of the lease agreement,  You should consider going to court and starting a proceeding to pay your rent in to court and ask for an abatement (reduction) of the rent until the matter is taken care of.  If it is not and continues the court will possibly allow you to break the lease.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption