Can collector agencies put a medical bill of my parents on my credit and ruin it?

When I was 17 I went to a heart doctor and my parents were billed for it. They never paid it. Now I am 20 and the collection agency has put it on my credit and ruined my credit. Shouldn’t my parents be responsible for it since I was a minor and it was their bill?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You were a minor, so unless you were an emancipated minor, your parents were responsible for your debts, not you. This is especially so since the doctor or hosptial tried to bill your parents for it--by doing so, they ratified that your parents were the responsible party. You do not have to pay, and you are not liable for nonpayment.

Getting incorrect and unfair information removed from credit report can be very difficult. You may also have a claim against the collection agency for the damage they have done you. You should seek a consultation with a local attorney who specializes in credit/collection matters (many will give you a free or very inexpensive initial consultation) to whom you can explain all the details of your situtation, and work out the best way to clear your credit and also seek whatever compensation may be due you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.