Can anything be done about four car break ins on the job

Four cars was broken into in the parking
lot pocket books was stolen Windows

Asked on June 18, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

You have no claim here. The fact is that an employer is not liable regarding the criminal acts of others. Bottom line, your company cannot be held responsible for the theft of items from your personal vehicle, even if it was parked in an empoyee parking lot.

SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

No, unfortunately, there is nothing to be done. An employer is NOT responsible for damage to or theft of employee's property, because they are not responsible for the criminal acts of other people; similarly, property owners or renters or not responsible for other people's criminal acts on their property. While there are some exceptions, as there are exceptions to everything, generally only the criminal (if you can identify him/her) is responsible for criminal acts. Your employer does not insure or protect your propertyy; you cannot hold them liable for this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.