Can an employee be classified PT and Exempt?

My husband was offered a PT position with a non profit organization. 500
per period. Not required to clock-in/out to track hours. Is this legal?

Asked on May 18, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The issue is not part time vs. full time for exemption: it's whether your husband otherwise meets the criteria for exemption from overtime. To be exempt:
1) You must be paid on a salary (not hourly) basis;
2) You must make at least $455 per week in salary, or $23,660 per year; and
3) Your job duties or responsibilities must meet one or more of the tests for exemption (the main ones for most employees are the professional, the administrative, and the executive [or managerial] tests), which you can find on the  U.S. Department  of Labor website--compare your husband's job duties/responsibilities to the test criteria to see if he falls under one or another of them.
Only if your husband meets 1) - 3) above is he exempt. If not exempt, he must be paid overtime when working more than 40 hours in a week, which may be a non-issue if he works part time hours.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.