can my employer dock my pay 15 minutes if I am late

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can my employer dock my pay 15 minutes if I am late

Washington State, Hourly employee. if I’m supposed to start at 8.00, and if I clock in later than .05 hour late 3 minutes, say 8.06, then my employer deducts an 15 minutes, .25 hours, in addition to the .06 hour I wasn’t clock in. Is that legal?

Asked on August 29, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

That is NOT legal. Hourly employees must be paid for all time worked: the employer cannot "dock" them extra time. A small amount of rounding is permissible: if you are 3 minutes late, you could reasonably miss 5 minutes of pay (rounding 3 to the next increment typically tracked), but docking you 15 minutes would itself be excessive and illegal--and missing 15 minutes plus the 3 minutes you were late is even more beyond the pale. You could potentially file a wage and hour complaint with the state or federal department of labor: your employer's policy violates the labor and wage laws.
Bear in mind that while an employer may not dock your pay for being late, they can do many other things: terminate you; suspend you; demote you; cut your pay; send you home instead of letting you work; etc. So while what is being done is clearly illegal, the legal options an employer has for tardiness are more severe.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption