Can a person run a credit report on someone for a non-business reason?

They run a title company. I have texts also from her.

Asked on September 24, 2012 under General Practice, Wisconsin


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) actually sets out when someone can run a credit or consumer report on a consumer.  The first general category is for business reasons related to the extension of credit, underwriting insurance, or with the consent of a consumer they are about to do business with.  Employers are also allowed to run criminal histories on prospective employees.  The third category is for agencies to see if the person/applicant meets certain licensing requirements. 

A business cannot run a credit report on someone, just out of curiosity or general nosiness.  They have to be able to articulate how the request for the report links us to their business.

FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country a private person can pay any credit reporting company a sum of money to run a credit report upon a person for a business or non-business purpose. Such a request is an example of free enterprise in this country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.