Can a minor be questioned in the work force without parent/gaurdian or police present

I am 17 and called me in for questioning about stolen money they didn’t contact police at all and didn’t contact my parents until after they questioned me and made me sign papers.

Asked on March 4, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, your employer can question you about stolen money without your parents or the police present. However, they cannot "make" you sign papers--you have the right to refuse to sign. And they cannot detain you on their own if you insist on leaving--at that point, if they believe you committed theft, they'd have to contact the police, and the police in turn would have to shortly contact your parents.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.