Can a landlord hold a disabled tenant responsible for a month’s rent that was supposed to be paid by the tenant’s representative payee?

The disabled individual’s representative payee is the person who manages the disabled individual’s funds. The disabled tenant is now being threatened with eviction by the landlord for that unpaid rent. Will the judge hold me responsible for that unpaid rent or will the judge not hold me responsible, and instead, advise my landlord to go after my representative payee?

Asked on July 26, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Any tenant whose tenancy is paid for by another (whether a representative payee, HUD, a local housing authority or charity, etc.) may be evicted if the rent is not paid; the landlord is not obligated to rent to someone when the rent is not paid, regardless of who is responsible for the failure to pay. A judge has no power to make the lanldord allow you to live there if your payee does not pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.