Can a DPS worker ask for my father’s residency papers in order for me to get my state ID?

Then tell me if my parents are illegal I will not be able to get my ID?

Asked on February 11, 2013 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I think it really depends on how old you are and whether you need your parents' permission to get the document.  IF so, then they can lawfully request your parents' documents.  If you are of age or do not need to get your parents' approval/permission (you should find out the specifics and be able to point to the rules when asked) then you should be able to get the document on your own without your parents' paperwork.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.