What can I do to recover my damages if anything and am I liable for the damage to the car in front of me if I was involved in a 4 car pile-up?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do to recover my damages if anything and am I liable for the damage to the car in front of me if I was involved in a 4 car pile-up?

I was the last car in the line – it was completely unavoidable and there was extensive damage to my vehicle as well as the other cars involved. The police determined the car in front initiated the accident and the driver received 2 citations – 1 for crossing a double white line and the other for unsafe lane change. I am insured but do not have collision coverage. My car was towed to a collision repair shop and I am driving a rental now. The police kept telling me I wasn’t at fault.

Asked on November 12, 2015 under Accident Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

If you don't have collision coverage, to recover money, you'd have to sue any driver(s) you believer were at fault in the accident (liability, or the obligation to pay, depends on fault) for your losses or costs. Bear in mind that other drivers who feel that you were at fault (such as the driver of the car right in front of you, which you hit) can sue you as well--they can try to prove in court that you were at  fault, and you can present your evidence to the contrary. The police's opinion as to fault is helpful evidence, but it is not controlling or dispositive: a court could find to the conrtrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption