Birth certificate

I am a permanent resident through asylum, can I use
my national passport to issue a birth certificate for
my son from my country embassy, I will not renew it
or extend it but the embassy need my passport to
issue it, thanks

Asked on October 15, 2017 under Immigration Law, Illinois


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on what the rules are for granting citizenship to a child born in the US by your home country.  For that you need to contact them.  Getting asylum in the US does not mean you have given up citzienship in your country; however, not all countries grant citizenship to persons born outside the country.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.