Are there drawbacks to setting up a living Will to avoid probate court delays?

This is after the death of parents. All children/beneficiaries live out of state so ideally the home could be sold and funds distributed to heirs quickly.

Asked on March 20, 2015 under Estate Planning, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I think you mean a "living trust," since a living will is a document stating what you should be done medically if you are impaired and cannot make your own medical decisions.

This is a very complicated question, with significant tax implications that should be discussed with a tax attorney, trusts and estates lawyer, and/or CPA. Without getting into those issues, which will be particular to you and the assets in questions. Without getting into those issues, the biggest question is this: are you willing to potentially give up control/ownership of the assets while the you are still alive? For maximum benefits in estate planning (including tax benefits), the assets should be placed in an irrevocable trust, which means that they no longer belong and cannot be solely, at will, controlled by the person making the trust. That may be too high a price to pay for avoiding probate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.