How long can a roommate’s boyfriend stay without paying extra rent?

UPDATED: May 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How long can a roommate’s boyfriend stay without paying extra rent?

There are 3 roommates and one’s boyfriend pretty much moved in. The others don’t like him want him gone. That roommate is more than a month behind on rent. The other 2 have told her he needs to leave. The boyfriend eats the others food and he drinks all the time. He is there all the time by himself and the place is a mess when he is there. What can the 2 roommates do to get him out? And how long can he stay without her having to pay extra money?

Asked on May 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Michigan


M.S., Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What you are describing is a situation where someone is "squatting" in your apartment.  Unfortunately, you are probably going to have to forcibly evict him.  This will require going to housing court and filing eviction paperwork that you can have served on him.  Moreover, this whole process may take at least several months.  Therefore, I suggest doing everything you can to resolve this situation with via your roomate who is letting him stay here.  Ultimately, she is probably the one who has the power to get rid of him as quickly as possible.  I cant comment on your relationship with her, but usually there is a way among roomates to resolve this type of situation.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption