Am I under contract if no goods or services have been exchanged?

We signed what we thought was a credit check to find out if we qualified for 2 differing amounts of windows with installation. Turns out after reading the sheets we actually signed 2 different contracts with different amounts of cost and number of windows. We were expecting a call to let us know which credit check came through, and instead we got a call after the 3 business days we would have been able to cancel trying to set up a final measure. So we apparently got approved for the larger purchase but were not notified of this going through. I did put down $50 as a good faith payment.

Asked on March 12, 2012 under General Practice, Indiana


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like someone was trying to take you. At this point, contact the general manager or owner (whomever is accessible) and explain that what you were led to believe you were signing was for a credit check and not for actual contractual services for the purchase and installation of windows. Further indicate this is considered unfair and deceptive activity in your state and if you do not see a resolution to this within 1 business day, you will file a complaint with the state attorney general and/or sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.