Am I able to sue by complex if their dryer caught on fire and ruined my personal property?

I do not have renter’s insurance.

Asked on June 23, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, you can file a small claims court action against the owenr of your apartment complex with respect to the damage to your clothing due to the dryer catching on fire.

Unless you can prove that a representative of the owner of your complex was negligent in allowing the dryer to catch on fire, you will not be able to meet your burden of proof and will not prevail in your claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.