What are the guidelines for Alimony? I have been married for 3 years, leaving my career to immigrate to US to marry, then leaving my job to accommodate my husband’s transfer. I have not worked for a year. Recently, I found out my husband is a sex addict, so I have left him – what is his obligation for alimony?

Asked on January 3, 2018 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that in California the general rule is that alimony will be awarded for half of the length of a less than ten year marriage.  So in your case it could be awarded for one and a half years.  I wuld strongly suggest you sek consultation from an attorney in your area as to your situation. Cases are often fact specific.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.