If my father told me that he is leaving his vacation home to my sister and I, can his new wife try to prevent this from happening?

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father told me that he is leaving his vacation home to my sister and I, can his new wife try to prevent this from happening?

My father remarried 5 years ago. He is the only person listed on the deed/title of the vacation home. Is there any way the new wife could deny this from happening in the event of his passing? He is leaving her the primary home.

Asked on September 3, 2014 under Estate Planning, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It would be wise for your Father to go and speak with an estate planner, some one familiar with the law in Colorado.  Colorado has what is known as a "spousal right of election" meaning that the spouse can file an objection against the probate of a Will should then be left an insufficient amount of their spouse's property. The surviving spouse may elect to take up to 1/2 of the decedent's estate. The exact amount is determined by the length of time the surviving spouse and decedent were married to each other, but in no case will it exceed 1/2 of the estate. The surviving spouse must file this election in court or deliver it to the executor within 9 months after death or 6 months after the Will was admitted into probate, whichever is later.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption