What will happen to me ifI had an accident with no insurance?

I was in a parking lot fender bender. Police officer issued brief report with each others basic info and said he was treating this as a private matter between both parties. Now 1 weeek later I find out I had no insurance and police want to talk to me. Do I return call? What could happen?

Asked on November 9, 2011 under Accident Law, Connecticut


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The police will be contacting you if you don't return their call.  You will be cited for driving without insurance.  The penalties vary from state to state,

If you were at fault in the accident, the other driver could sue you for the cost of repairs to the other vehicle.  If the other driver has uninsured motorist covverage, the other driver could file a claim through his/her insurance company to have the car repaired.  The insurance company might still sue you to recover what they paid on the uninsured motorist claim for repair of the damage to their insured's vehicle.  This might be a Small Claims court case since the damage was minor. 

If you were not at fault in the accident, you can file a claim with the other driver's insurance company for the cost of repairs to your car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.