What to do if my apartment manager states they never received the money order for my rent?

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my apartment manager states they never received the money order for my rent?

I’ve traced it down to a bank that is a partner of their bank, and obtained a copy of the cashed money order. The money order is made out to the apartments I live at. My manager is trying to get me to pay for it still, refusing to talk to her bank with the source receipt that I obtained. Should I write the letter of payment that the manager is requesting? Is there anything more I can do to try and track this cashed money order down? Manager has taken the next months payment and allowed this to be put on the side for now, what legal options does this leave me? If she’s responsible is there a particular law I can quote?

Asked on November 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The problem that I see for you is that unless you can show solid proof that you paid rent for the month in dispute you will have to pay rent for that month. In the future you should get a signed and dated rent payment receipt from the property manager when you pay your rent.

I would present your best case and contact the bank that you have written about for documentation showing that you paid rent for the month you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption