If a therapy service is refusing to give me my medical records and says that I need a lawyer, what can I do?

I was in therapy 6-9 years ago and then left therapy. I kept in touch with my therapist who turned into my girlfriend last year. While we were dating, they informed me that I had BPD and knew it back when I first started therapy but never told me. They also claimed their boss knew and said BPD was hopeless and there was nothing that could help. Is there anything that can be done about that? Or is it just wasting my time? I am turning my ex into the board but did know if anything could be done against the boss and that company as well.

Asked on August 12, 2012 under Malpractice Law, Oklahoma


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country one's therapist is required to give the patient a copy of his or her records upon request. What you have written about is a violation of state law and regulations as to the particular professional health professional who refuses to provide you with your own records.

Your options are to report this professional to his or her licensing board and/or retain an attorney that practices in the medical filed to get the records that you want for you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.