What to do if a sheriff took my car because he had a court order “request and order to seize property”?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you are a debtor and there was a levy by the creditor of your property where the sheriff seized your car as part of the levy, you need to serve and file a claim of exemption with the court to try and get the return of your vehicle.

In many states in this country automobiles worth less than a certain amount, for example $8,000 are exempt from levy by creditors. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that represents debtors and practices in the area of debt collection concerning your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.