What are my rights if apart on my car that was deemed defective by the manufacturer caused excessive damage to my car that isn’t covered?

I was never told that a part on my car that was deemed defective by the manufacturer is covered under an extended warranty by the dealership; I have had all of my services done with this dealership. After the part failed it caused excessive damage to my engine. The dealership is only willing to replace the original defective part and wants to charge me for any additional damage. I have spoken to all managers at the dealerships as well as filed a complaint with the corporate office. What can I do?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under General Practice, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you were not informed of the defective part until it was too late, check to see if there was a recall on this part. If so, you better show that to the dealership and tell them they are responsible for full repair. If they refuse, file a consumer complaint with the entity or entities who license or regulate them. This can be the Department of Motor Vehicles or the Attorney General. Contact a private attorney or consumer protection law firm that handles such matters for free. At most, you may need to contact private counsel to send a letter to hopefully pursuade the dealership to fix all repairs at no cost to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.