What are my rights if a mechanic friend was replacing my windshield wipers free of charge at the shop where he works but during the installation he cracked my windshield?

It was agreed upon that it was his responsibility to have it fixed and that he would pay for it. He initially cracked the lower portion but since he neglected to make a fix, the crack spread across from one side to the other. Now I must have it replaced entirely. This mechanic is now refusing to replace my windshield and refuses to pay for me to have it replaced. Is there anything I can do about this or am I just screwed?

Asked on February 13, 2016 under Accident Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

You can sue him--and possibly his employer, the repair shop, if it's not his shop--for the cost of the replacement: he broke the window negligently, or carelessly, and therefore is liable, or finanically responsible, to pay for the damage. Of course, since suing can be stressful, takes time, and will cost at least a few tens of dollars (filing fee) even if you act as your own attorney ("pro se"), it may not be worthwhile doing this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.