A formal complaint has been file with maricopa county court alleging my 14 year old son committed this OffenseMarijuana-Possess

It has been so long ago when this happened I can’t even remember the exact date. I was called by a police officer to pick up my 14 year old at a park where he claimed to have found Pot in his back pack. My son and a bunch of other kids were saw smoking pot in the park and one of the older boys who purchased it ask my son to put the pot in his back pack. When the police arrived all the boys ran except my son who cooperated and even told the police where the other boys lived but he did nothing. The state wants my son to plead guilty to a level F6 charge what should I do?

Asked on May 18, 2009 under Criminal Law, Arizona


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Get an attorney ASAP.  An F6 is a very serious charge.  You need a criminal attorney in the area where all of this happened.  Do not speak with the police until you have one. 

A local attorney will know people in the prosecutor's office and through his contacts he can possibly find a prosecutor sympathetic to your son's situation.  Given his age and, I'm assuming, first-time offender status he should be able to work something out.  Maybe getting the charges dropped, reduced, or even arrange for some form of alternative sentence.  You want to make sure that your son's criminal record stays clean.

Again, my advice is to speak with an attorney.  Don't meet with the authorities yourself thinking that you can just explain that your son is a good kid and it was someone's drugs.  They hear this all of the time.  Also, if you did this you might inadvertently say something to make the situation worse. 

If you can't afford to retain private counsel,  contact the public defender's office or legal aid.  But whatever you do, do it now.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.