If I am 18 months into a 5 year bankruptcy plan, how this would be affected if get a divorce?

I would like him to keep the house which is not included in the bankruptcy. He earns over twice what I do.

Asked on November 10, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

First of all, it you have a bankruptcy attorney you must keep in mind that they represent both of you, and cannot help you in such a way as to cause harm to your spouse.

What you and your husband need to consider is making an agreement between yourselves as to who pays what amounts and set it out in your divorce settlement. Then when your divorce is finalized, you will have some way to enforce the terms of the agreement if your ex fails to keep his part. You should hire another attorney to draft this agreement. If you cannot agree and the payments are not made in full, the Chapter 13 trustee will file a motion to dismiss your case.

If you simply cannot agree but you wish to continue making your payments under the plan, you will need to hire a different bankruptcy attorney to file a motion with the court to bifurcate (split) your case; they will then file a new plan for you only. Your husband can also hire another attorney to file a new plan for him to pay for the items that he wants to keep (or either of you could then convert to a Chapter 7 bankruptcy, if eligible).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.