Can an auto insurercancel a policyor increase policy rates, if their insured has a driver residing with them who has had their license suspended/revoked?

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an auto insurercancel a policyor increase policy rates, if their insured has a driver residing with them who has had their license suspended/revoked?

My husband and I have moved into my dad’s house. We don’t have a car, so my my dad lest me drive his. But he doesn’t let my husband have the car because he has no license. One day a family friend told my dad and that under WA law because my husband is currently prohibited from acquiring a license (he has some fines, etc.) and he lives in my father’s house, that if my father’s insurer knew this, then they would drop him or raise his rates. Additionally, since I’m married to an unlicensed driver and also live in my father’s house, that I can’t even be allowed on his insurance policy. Is this true?

Asked on January 16, 2011 under Insurance Law, Washington


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If your household member is currently covered by your insurance company (whether you are the spouse or not), and that household member had a revoked or suspended license you didn't tell the insurance company about prior to giving him coverage or had it revoked or suspended while covered, your insurance will indeed be cancelled and you can be dropped because you failed to update the material information to your insurance company. Your friend is not accurate. If you plan on living with your father, or your father lets your drive his vehicle, he better get coverage for you on his plan and inform them to specifically exclude your spouse who cannot drive legally right now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption