Would I face issues with my naturalization process in the future?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would I face issues with my naturalization process in the future?

I am currently a permanent a U.S. resident and I have acquired my green card. I am a student at my home-country and I can’t just leave my college but I make sure that I return to the U.S. before I reach the 6 month deadline because after I finish my studies I am looking forward to living and working in the U.S. Given that I am currently not able to stay a consecutive 5 years in the U.S. due to my studies, will that affect my status as a green card holder and my future naturalization process?

Asked on September 7, 2017 under Immigration Law, Alaska


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You have to demonstrate that you have the intent of living in the US permanently.  Therefore, you cannot be outside the US for huge chunks of time without jeopardizing your status.  If you know that you will not be able to be in the US for a long time, you should secure for yourself a reentry permit that will enable you to be outside the US for up to 2 years and it can be renewed.  This will preserve your status as permanent resident for naturalization purposes.  You will still need to satisfy the physical presence requirement for the naturalization when the time comes.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption