Would a possession of a small amount of marijuana ticket get me evicted from public housing?

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Would a possession of a small amount of marijuana ticket get me evicted from public housing?

I know it is a petty misdemeanor in MN and decriminalized. Would the housing authority be notified?

Asked on August 20, 2011 Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not your recent encounter with law enforcement where you have been charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana which is a misdemeanor in your state of residence and its potential negative effect on your public housing lease, you need to carefully read the lease you signed as well as all other rules and restrictions for this lease.

The reason is that the written lease and all other rules concerning your occupation of the unit subject to public housing regulations may reference something about criminal convictions having a detrimental outcome on your continued occupation of the unit.

You should consult with a criminal lawyer regarding the charges against you and possibly see if the charges could be reduced to some sort of an infraction as opposed to a misdemeanor in the worst case scenario.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption