If a Will was contested and the executor withdrew, what’s next?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a Will was contested and the executor withdrew, what’s next?

My grandmother passed away over 5 years ago. In her Will my mother was appointed executor. However, the Will was contested, from my knowledge my uncle tried to become executor but doesn’t want to pay his lawyer and the Will is sitting at the court. My mother withdrew as executor. I am the only one in the Will waiting to receive anything (car,stocks, knick-knacks). I don’t have any money to go to a lawyer for help. How do I get info? How and should I become executor?

Asked on September 6, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If no one is willing to act as the executor under your grandmother's will where a probate proceeding has been filed but the administration of the probate has stalled, you can file a petition to appoint yourself as the administrator of your grandmother's estate with the court so as to start moving things along.

Most states allow an attorney to represent an estate for a percentage of its gross estate to be paid in the end. That way one does not front monies for legal fees and associated costs to probate the estate.

I suggest doing an online search about the probate process and how you can start the proceeding where you get appointed as the administrator of the state to get things moving forward.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption