Will resigning compromise my ability to get unemployment benefits in georgia?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will resigning compromise my ability to get unemployment benefits in georgia?

I live and work in Georgia and have just been asked to resign, and sign a release form/agreement, which offers me two months salary to do so. The company tells me albeit not in writing that I can still file for unemployment benefits and that they will not contest them if I do so, but will I harm my eligibility for unemployment benefits by ‘resigning’?

Should I ask for the company to instead make me ‘laid off’ or ????? in order to better protect my eligibility for unemployment benefits?

Asked on September 7, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you resign, unemployment compensation will probably be denied because resignation will be construed as a voluntary quit.  If you are fired or laid off, that would not be construed as a voluntary quit and you would be eligible for unemployment compensation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption