Will I get money from my grandfather if my father dies?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will I get money from my grandfather if my father dies?

My grandfather passed away a few months ago and he had a lot of money. However, his girlfriend is trying to hold the money from my dad and my aunt and uncle, so my dad and aunt and uncle have not received the inherit from my grandfather yet. Recently, my father got really really sick and the doctors told me that he has less than a month to live. If my father dies before getting the inherited money from my grandfather, will his portion only be splitted between my aunt and uncle and not my father anymore or will my father’s portion go to me since he was alive at the time my grandfather passed away?

Asked on February 27, 2018 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, since your father survived your grandfather, he (or his beneficiaries/heirs) will be entitled to a share of your grandfather's estate. If your grandfather had a Will and your father predeceased (i.e. died before) your grandfatehr, things may have been different, but this is not the case here.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption