Who is my supervisor allowed to go to about my performance?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who is my supervisor allowed to go to about my performance?

My boyfriend and I work for the same company. He is the manager in the maintenance department, and I am in food service. One of my direct supervisors I have two – who I hadn’t worked for in months due to working for the other supervisor – went to my boyfriend about my performance, essentially threatening my job. I would just like to know what legal options, if any, I have. I have spoken with HR and nothing has been done. I have spoken to the GM and nothing has been done.

Asked on December 5, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unless this action violated the terms of any applicable employment contract or union agreement, you have no claim here. The fact is that most work relationshps are "at will", which means that a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionble discrimination).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption