Who has rights to get life insurance on another person?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who has rights to get life insurance on another person?

My mother-in-law opened life insurance on both my children without my consent. She asked my husband for their SSN’s. She has also refused to add me as the beneficiary to the policies. I want to know what legal grounds I have as the mother to request these policies be closed. I feel she is only trying to benefit if heaven forbid something happens to my children.

Asked on October 24, 2012 under Insurance Law, Nevada


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Ordinarily under the laws of all states in this country a spouse can insure the life of the other spouse and the minor children without written consent to do so. Otherwise, written consent is needed to be obtained for a person to have his or her life insured by anyone else.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption