What can I do if while on the highway a metal object fell off a bed truck and struck and damaged my car so I had to pay for a rental?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if while on the highway a metal object fell off a bed truck and struck and damaged my car so I had to pay for a rental?

The insurance covered for the repairs but I had to pay for my own car rental (full price) since my car needed to be in the repair shop for few weeks. A police report was filed stating I had to stop and get a tow truck. I did not take car rental coverage from my insurance company ahead of time. Should I still have to pay for the rental?

Asked on February 21, 2015 under Accident Law, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you have to pay for the rental--you voluntarily rented a car, and therefore are obligated to pay. You have the right to sue the truck driver and the truck owner (if they are not one and the same anyway) for having damaged your car, such as under a "negligence" (carelessness; i.e. the object fell due to not taking proper care to secure it) theory, and if you win, you can recover any out-of-pocket costs, such as car rental, your deductible, etc. And if you threaten to sue, they may choose to pay you voluntarily. But the rental car company doesn't need to wait to see if and when you get money from the truck owner or driver--you have to pay them in the meantime, then seek reimbursement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption