What to do if while eating at a Chinese buffet, I got burned by the sweet and sour sauce while pouring it into a small plastic cup that was available for that use?

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if while eating at a Chinese buffet, I got burned by the sweet and sour sauce while pouring it into a small plastic cup that was available for that use?

he manager never even came to check on me after I notified my waiter. I am a tile installer but now I can’t finish my ceramic tile job due to the burning sensation in my fingers. Should I contact a local lawyer in the are of where the restaurant is located or contact one where I reside?

Asked on November 24, 2014 under Personal Injury, Mississippi


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Have you been to a doctor or emergency room and received a medical diagnosis of some injury? If not, there's little or no point in contacting an attorney: without medical evidence of some injury, disability, etc., you'd not win any lawsuit and would be unable to credibly threaten a suit. So if you want to consider legal action and have not yet seen medical treatment, do that first.

Once you have a medical report/diagnosis/etc., you can speak with a lawyer about what your case may be worth and therefore whether it's worthwhile taking--or at least threatening, so as to try to get a settlement--legal action. Initially speak with an attorney near you (ask first if the attorney provides free initial consultations to evaluate a case--since many do, go to one who won't charge you for the first conversation) to see if the case is worthwhile and if, on the facts and the respective locations of you and the restaurant, the attorney could represent you. You can always speak to an attorney located elsewhere later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption