When should I notify my employer that I’m disabled and may not be able to return to my previous position?

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When should I notify my employer that I’m disabled and may not be able to return to my previous position?

What began with me a taking a couple of months off from my work to get better, has been realized as a disability that will prohibit me from returning to my position. I have been off work just over 10 weeks. Also, does my situation fall under a different categorization than FMLA, since I have been diagnosed with an untreatable physical, mental and emotional disorder?

Asked on June 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You are entitled to you FMLA leave for medical care, so if you haven't used it up, you don't need to tell them under the law yet. When you've used up all your FMLA leave and any PTO you also have, that's when you'll need to tell them if you're coming back or not. If they are giving you more than legally mandated leave, however, pursuant to an agreement to let you take time and hold your job, then you would need to tell them when you reasonably know that you can't hold up your end of the agreement and come back.

More germane to you, if you are disabled BUT could possibly keep working with some reasonable accomodation (such as assistance technology, a switch to a different position within the company that you are qualified for, etc.), the company may be required to accomodate you; therefore, since discrimination against the disabled is not legal, it may be that you can keep working, if you ask for a reasonable accomodation and a reasonable accomodation (nothing too disruptive or expensive) that would let you work is possible. You should consult with an employment attorney to see what rights you may have in this regard.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption