when is a inheritance deemed null and void if it is almost 20 years old

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

when is a inheritance deemed null and void if it is almost 20 years old

sister left an inheritance to her child but said she could not have money unless
she was 3 years clean and sober, which she has not been and in almost 20 years
only have spoken to her 2 times.

Asked on September 12, 2017 under Estate Planning, Arizona


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I would STRONGLY suggest that instead of asking you accountant you bring the Trust documents to a Lawyer to read and determine under the law in the state in which the Trust is being administered.  The Terms of the Trust are what govern and dictate the actions of the Trustee - you I assume - but if the Terms of the Trust are never met, how the law applies in this particular situation is dependent on the state's laws. Please seek legal help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption