When filing a Certfication of Notice with an office of Wills, who should we list as the notified beneficiaries?

Get Legal Help Today

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When filing a Certfication of Notice with an office of Wills, who should we list as the notified beneficiaries?

Or can we just leave it blank? We can’t really come up with anyone to notify. My father died without many solely owned assets; most were held jointly with my mom.

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  The Notice you speak of is notification to any beneficiaries (under a Will) or intestate heirs (those who would receive if there is no Will). Under PA. O,C. Rule 5.6(a) it is the following:

"(a) Requirement of notice. Within three (3) months after the grant of letters, the personal representative to whom original letters have been granted or the personal representative's counsel shall send a written notice of estate administration in the form set forth in Rule 5.7.

(1) every person, corporation, association, entity or other party named in decedent's will as an outright beneficiary whether individually or as a class member;

(2) the decedent's spouse and children, whether or not they are named in, or have any interest under, the will;

(3) where there is an intestacy in whole or in part, to every person entitled to inherit as an intestate heir under Chapter 21 of the Probate, Estate, and Fiduciaries Code;

(4) the appointed guardian of the estate, parent or legal custodian of any beneficiary who is a minor child under the age of eighteen (18) years;

(5) the appointed guardian of the estate or, in the absence of such appointment, the institution or person with custody of any beneficiary who is an adjudicated incapacitated person;

(6) the Attorney General on behalf of any charitable beneficiary whose interest exceeds $25,000 or which will not be paid in full;

(7) the Attorney General on behalf of any governmental beneficiary or in default of the other heirs of the estate;

(8) the trustee of any trust which is a beneficiary; and;

(9) such other persons and in such manner as may be required by any local rule of court.

I might speak with some one on this.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption