If I had a routine colonoscopy that was improperly done, who is liable for the related medical expenses?.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I had a routine colonoscopy that was improperly done, who is liable for the related medical expenses?.

The doctor removed polyps but did not do a colorinazation of one of the removals which caused excessive bleeding. An ambulance had to be called to transport me to the ER. An admission to the hospital for 3 days and a repeat colonoscopy, which caused unexpected medical bills (including ambulance, ER, hospital and all other medical costs). Am I liable for all of these charges or can I sue?

Asked on September 24, 2014 under Malpractice Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No you are not liable for these costs. If your new doctor and or the ER doctor were able to diagnose this as the reason for your re-hospitalization, then you should hire counsel to sue the doctor and his practice and seek payment for all costs and pain and suffering. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption