What sort of punishment am I looking at for possession of less then 20 grams of cannabis and paraphernalia?

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 18, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What sort of punishment am I looking at for possession of less then 20 grams of cannabis and paraphernalia?

I was stupidly driving someone else home last night in a car that was not mine, a friend let me borrow it. I was pulled over for not having a tag light. I did have under a gram of cannabis and a pipe. I’ve never been arrested for anything before and was very cooperative. The cop cited me and let me go. I was lucky not to go to jail, my question is what type of punishment am I looking at or record? I have a very good job and can’t afford to have that put to risk. What are my options?

Asked on June 18, 2009 under Criminal Law, Florida


Michael Manes / Michael B. Manes, P.A.

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Depending on the county that it occurred in you may be eligible to have the case dismissed by going through a misdemeanor diversion program.  After completion of the program the case is dropped.  Also, if the cannabis and paraphernalia was not on your person, the state may not be able to prove possession as you were in a borrowed vehicle that you did not own. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption