What should I do if my past employer filed a false police report on me?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if my past employer filed a false police report on me?

My past employer accused me of stealing approximately $3,000 in the form of deposits on December 27th. She took me off of the schedule, which to me means I was fired. I was informed today that on Friday evening January 25th, by other current employees, that she filed a police report stating that. One employee said they were all being questioned. Do I need to get a lawyer now? One local lawyer said he can’t do anything until the charges are filed but once they’re filed won’t I be arrested or have a warrant for my arrest? I have 4 children and I need to know what to do to stay out of jail.

Asked on January 28, 2019 under Criminal Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The local lawyer is right in that until charges are filed, there is nothing that can be done or needs to be done, because nothing has happened. Anyone may file a police report: a police report is simply one person's version of what happened or story--it has not been judged to be correct, has not been determined to be true, it has no legal effect, etc. Only if action is taken on it (e.g. charges) is there anything to react to or take steps about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption