Can someone living on my property but living in their mobile home, put animals on the property without my consent?

UPDATED: Oct 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone living on my property but living in their mobile home, put animals on the property without my consent?

There is no rent or lease. This person has not been home for over 3 weeks. The animals are not being taken care of. I would like to know if I can take possession of the animals that are outside. I already know the ones inside the mobile home are considered personal property.

Asked on October 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

1) Legally, there is NO distinction between indoor and outdoor animals; they are all personal property.

2) If there is no rent or lease, the person is a guest, not a tenant. They can only live there, whether in their mobile home or otherwise, as long as you give them permission. You may  withdraw permission for them to live on your land, or make the permission contingent on their  either getting rid, properly taking care of, etc. the animals. If you take away permission, or make it contingent on them doing something with the animals and they don't, you may evict them (make sure to go through the courts) if you want.

3) If the animals are dangerous or damaging your property, you could call animal control; similarly, if its against town or local ordinances where you live  to have those animals.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption