What shouldI do about a wrongful citation for distributing alcohol to a minor?

UPDATED: Feb 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What shouldI do about a wrongful citation for distributing alcohol to a minor?

This past weekend I went to a party with a friend of mine not knowing who was going to be attending. There was drinking and of course minors at the party however I did not at any point in the night participate in consuming alcohol nor did I bring alcohol to the party or get any for anyone at anytime. During the course of the party the cops showed up and the owner of the house or said-owner would not let them in nor would he allow us too. Finally, after about an hour, the cops were let in and I was asked if I had been drinking. I responded no because I hadn’t. I was then charged with distributing alcohol to a minor and contributing to a minor disturbance. Is this likely to get dismissed?

Asked on February 18, 2012 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that you did nothing wrong to justify the citation that you received concerning distribution of alcohol to a minor, you should contest the citation. Remember, the prosecution bears the burden of proving that you committed a crime beyond a reasonable doubt.

From what you have written, it seems that the burden will most likely not be met. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about the matter you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption