what should I do about my /neighbor if he claims that he was hurt and missed work due to my dog chasing him?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

what should I do about my /neighbor if he claims that he was hurt and missed work due to my dog chasing him?

I just moved into my home 3 months ago. I have a neighbor who said that my dog came running at him and he fell trying to get away. This same neighbor came over the next day and told my husband how he had surgery on one of his hips and was about to have surgery on the other, the one he said that he hurt trying to get away from my dog. About a week later, the neighbor came back to my house and said that he had to miss the whole week from work and that basically he wanted us to give him $500 for the week of work he missed. That same neighbor just came over again asking what we were going to do. We explained that we have all our money invested in our home, my husband has not worked in a few months and that I am the only one working. What should I do?

Asked on August 27, 2016 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Your neighbor needs to document his injury and wage loss.
You need to see medical bills and medical reports.  Of course, even the medical report might not prove that he fell trying to get away from your dog.
You also need to see documentation of wage loss from his employer that your neighbor actually missed a week of work and the reason for his absence.
Where was he chased by your dog?  If this occurred on your property, you can refer the matter to your homeowner's insurance carrier which will handle it for you.
If it did not occur on your property, you would be liable for negligence as the dog owner.  If you have any other insurance that may be applicable, you should contact your insurance company; however, prior to contacting an insurance company, you should obtain documentation of his injury and wage loss as discussed above or you can have the insurance company do it for you.
Tell your neighbor that you need documentation of his injury, and that he needs to provide his medical bill, doctor's medical report, and documentation of wage loss from his employer which should include the reason stated why he missed work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption