What should I do about an outstanding warrant?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do about an outstanding warrant?

My pre-employment background check for a hospital came back that I have an active warrant for my arrest for a Class C misdemeanor. My ticket was for driving without liability insurance 6

years ago and then failure to appear. I have done plenty of background checks and it has never come up; I had forgotten about the ticket. I also checked at DPS and my license is clear to drive.

Asked on June 6, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You will need to appear in court to get this all settled. You not only have the warrant to clear up but also the underlying charge to deal with. The fact is that it will be best for you to take care of this ASAP. The fact is that you don't want to get stopped by the police for somethig as minor as a speeding ticket because if you do you will be taken into custody. And it is far better to appear before a judge voluntarily and not by courtesy of the jail bus. At this point, you should consult with a criminal law attorney in the area of where the incident occurred and the warrant was issued. They can use their local contacts to best represent you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption