What rights do heirs have in regard to getting an accounting of money being split?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What rights do heirs have in regard to getting an accounting of money being split?

My mother died a month ago and 2 sisters were signatories on her checking account; 1 of those sisters handled the sale of mom’s house 3 months ago. The other sister was named the executor of the Will and had power of attorney over mom’s finances. She said that she will be distributing the money soon. There are 7 other children and we have never seen paperwork from the sale of the house and we do not know now much money was in mom’s bank accounts.

Asked on November 5, 2017 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

An executor of a Will owes the estate a "fiduciary duty". That means that when a person is given the responsibility of managing estate assets, that person has been given a trust and is expected to operate with honesty, integrity and for the benefit of the beneficiaries. To the extent that a beneficiary has a reasonable suspicion that there may be a breach of this duty, they can make a request to the Probate Court that an accounting be ordered. This will ensure that no assets have been squandered or stolen. After, if it is determined that the executor has proven themselves to be unqualified, incompetent or even corrupt, they can be removed from their position. The court can do this with something called a "fiduciary removal proceeding".

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption