What is the process for a DUI arrest state police?

UPDATED: May 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the process for a DUI arrest state police?

The officer did not advise why I was stopped, immediately asked me to get out of the car, performed a field sobriety test, arrested me but did not advise me of what my BAC was nor did he advise me of my Miranda rights, took me to the hospital for a blood test then to the barracks. I never signed anything, received no paperwork and was given my license back before leaving (with a friend that came to pick me up). Everyone says that he should have advised why I was stopped, told me my BAC, read me my rights and had some sort of paperwork for me to sign before I left. Is this correct?

Asked on May 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Within the next 3-4 weeks, by mail, you will receive a Criminal Compant charging you with DUI and a notice for your Preliminary Hearing at the District Court Level. Penssylvania is an implied  consent State. When the police officer asks you to undergo a breathalyzer or a blood test, he does not have to ask for your consent or read Miranda rights to you in the DUI context. Our  State requires you to aadhere to the officer's request for a breathalyzer or blood test or you wi8ll suffer a license suspension of 1 year.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption