What if you can’t find out all of the information needed when filling out the form about the creditors?

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What if you can’t find out all of the information needed when filling out the form about the creditors?

I’m filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy on my own. What do I do if I can’t find the exact amount owed to the creditors or who currently has the account? Does it even need to be who currently has the account or are you supposed to put who the original creditor is?

Asked on January 24, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Try to use the most accurate information such as the amount of the balance from the last statement.  Include your account number.  If the account was sent to collection, include the name and address of the collection agency as well as the name and address of the  original creditor.

The name and address of the creditor including collection agencies is listed so that those creditors can be notified by the court when you file your bankruptcy with the court.

If additional information is needed; for example, to correct or include in the bankruptcy, you can file an amendment after your bankruptcy has been filed with the court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption