What happens when a beneficiary does not show for the reading of the Will?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens when a beneficiary does not show for the reading of the Will?

My father-in-law is named in a Will from his brother leaving him 1M. He has passed away and according to what we were told, his widow is next one entitled. One of our family members needs to be out of state for the reading of the Will, so what happens if nobody shows up from our side?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The reading of the Will should have no bearing on whether or not your father in law is allowed to collect on his inheritance.  It is funny that there is actually fgoing to be a reading.  It is one of those traditions that has gone by the wayside.  I would have your father in law speak with ana ttorney an possibly have the attorney represent him at the reading.  Better safe than sorry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption